My photo
just a girl with alot on her mind

Sunday, May 10, 2015

the Suffolk Bridle, first impressions...


So here it is, right out of the box. All I know about its history is the person I bought it from had it for 2 years and bought it used as well, and used it several times a week. It seems to be holding up alright then given all that, but is really gunky and dirty, like it was oiled and oiled (the leather is supple) while dirty. So with all that gunk to deal with it was time to break out the big guns....
This stuff is awesome, just be sure to wear latex gloves and follow the directions. It will bring leather back to it's original state so let's begin. (It also does not darken leather, so perfect for light tack!)
and here is the first round with the cleaner. Already it has gotten rid of the grime and the true color of the padding and stitching can be seen, it looks like the pic in the Dover catalog now. It will have to dry overnight before I can do step 2 with the conditioner but already it is looking better and the putrid smell is gone. I was worried it would smell like India leather (omg so gross) but I think it was just all the gunk on it cuz I dont detect anything now. (I have cleaned India tack with this stuff and there's no getting rid of that horrid smell, it's just permanent with that stuff) 
Update: And here it is now, after a couple of coats of olive oil applied and left to dry, and then finally Step 2 Conditioner to seal it up. It looks almost new again and
the leather is wonderful and soft. It acts like a satin ribbon actually, it is so buttery or flexible or whatever you wanna call it....

The only thing I've found wierd on this bridle is the way the reins are at the hook ends. As you see the stap is just bluntly cut. My other bridles (except Gatsby,which has simple hook ends like this, but the leather is skived to be flatter) all have an extra flap of leather to reinforce the wear on this area, and it's a feature I really like. So I dont know what to make of this- being the bridle has been sold twice now who knows even if these are the original reins but

even with that small difference my opinion of this bridle is I would definately buy it new. I mean really, if one so used can look so good again with just a bit of care, a new one should keep it's function and looks without issue. And bar none it's super soft leather, even the Weavers arent this soft (but then again they are not near as broke in)  So, happy to report that I would add others to my collection and this was a smart buy. Again, my disclaimer is I dont show nor feel the need to blow a fortune on one bridle, so if I like something that's the only approval I need ;) . 




No comments: