My photo
just a girl with alot on her mind

Monday, October 19, 2015

So much has happened...

the last 2 weeks that it's not going to fit all in one post! But some VERY cool horse adventures have happened and it was as if fate tried to make up for all the 3 years absense of horse happenings, in 1 week! So let's start at the beginning of Adventure 1.....
  The BLM had an adoption in the area now a couple weeks ago, and I was so curious to see what was offered! After website browsing, a call to the BLM with a million questions, it was now a tortuous wait to the day when the mustangs could be seen. From online pics, which are hard to judge by, I had 3 canidates as "maybe".. for 1 that I hoped to bring home. 2 geldings and a bay roan that I hoped was one of them, but couldnt tell from the website
These were the yearlings that I was to choose from, I wanted a youngster, and hopefully a gelding, so there were only 2 available- the sorrel and the black. Watching them interact with each other, the black was eliminated as a choice, he spent all his time being aggressive and bullying all the others, to the point of just being a little jerk and enjoying himself- I really didnt want that type of personality on top of being unhandled-  so he didnt change in the hour I was watching them, nor the several hours the next day of watching them. 
Second choice, the little sorrel guy- he was as quiet as foals Im used to seeing, nothing rattled him, even the black's antics. But he had such a short neck,
as you see here. It was short enough that he had to do the giraffe thing to reach hay on the ground. I realize yearlings have an awkward stage and he was probably in it, but at the same time compared to all the others he just seemed really thick or short necked and I know that would factor in as he got old enough to ride. Still I kept him as 2nd choice and switched over to the bay roan who was really a filly..
Watching her, she spent most of her time just trying to get away from the black, or hiding behind the others so he wouldnt chase her, so that told me she was low pecking order. At feeding time she was still low place, only 1 other in the same rank as her and these 2 were hounded by the black at every opportunity. But I loved her long look and clean legs, she had the best conformation of the whole group. The only factor I was worried about was her color- everybody else wanted her cuz of that color! I figured I didnt stand a chance.
Here you see the 2 together and he looks very short compared to her.

The adoption was set up as first come, first served, and started at 8am the following day. Knowing that I left the house at 5:30 and waited at the office they had on site. It was dark, it was cold! But it was worth it!!! 

I did get this filly, and 2 burros...and she is (was!) Wild - not by any exaggeration, for she had been captured in Feb so really only been wrangled and not handled. She went straight up in the chute at the point of getting her halter on and I was really wondering if I made a good choice at that point- but "Up = Fear" and most horses wouldve probably done that in a squeeze chute so benefit of the doubt...
And here she is at her new home, with her burro "frenemies"who really want nothing to do with her cuz they have important donkey buisness to attend to... which involves carrots and taming down alot faster than she is. We were able to remove Bug's halter the same day he came, apparently donkeys will do anything for carrots!
So the journey begins.... So far I have had her and the boys for 10 days, but thier progress will be in another update before this is too huge lol


No comments: