My photo
just a girl with alot on her mind

Saturday, October 24, 2015

Tango Week 2

         Day 8.. since Day 7 had been a day off for Tango, I learned she doesnt do well with those at this stage of the game and we had to begin a few steps back. It was very windy and rather chilly, so she was fresh but onward we forged. The lesson plan for that day was leading, turning hindquarters and turning forequarters in whichever direction, and getting used to my hands near her face. That got exceptionally better with hand feeding her hay and then touching her with hay wisps all over her face and neck, shoulders, brisket. She is still very suspicious of cameras, and buckets, even though she's now figured out grain is awesome she will not come near the bucket even with grain it it.

       Day 9. Bucket day lol. I spent most of this session sitting on a mineral tub holding a little bucket of grain for her to investigate. And she did investigate all of an hour but would not eat from it, though she knew and wanted that grain. But the victory was that she came willingly and then of her own choice to right beside me, sniffing and yawning at everything and had no fear so we just hung out. The burros were very jealous lol. What I did with the last part of the session was lead her down to the other end and get some hay for her, she stood and did not attempt to run off or go see what the burros were doing even though she was free to- since I had to climb over the gate to fetch hay. And so I went back and picked up the rope and no drama, not even an eye batting. (Finally!) So I fed her and began touching her with my glove instead of hay, oh that was different! But ended it on a good note.

      Day 10. Today was a breakthough!A HUGE breakthrough at that. Today, Tango and the burros came out when they heard me talking to the dogs on my way over to the barn. I had grain and gave the burros a taste, just to get them freindly, and Tango was watching all this, and trying to join in, only Bugs wouldnt let her. So I gave them some hay outside and took the bucket inside, and Tango followed and watched me close the gate. That was breakthrough #1, she followed by choice and came all the way over when I picked up the rope. Again I set up my makeshift chair and offered grain and she came over as before but still would not eat from the bucket no matter how tempting it was. So we sat like that for about a half hour and then I decided to do more hay tricks lol. That seems to be her favorite and I make the most progress with her when doing it. Breakthrough #2 today was I can now pet her neck with no hay, just a glove or hand, and she was relaxed about it. After all that and heaps of praise I gave her the grain as she likes it too, just on top of the hay and she dug in- even though the bucket miraculously stayed right by the pile for some reason... When she was finished I did more hay tricks and petting her, to be sure it wasnt just a fluke thing, and then called it quits. Upon leaving the barn she followed me out and walked past while I was securing the gate- but then she turned and waited, watching what I'd do besides praising her for being so good and quiet. Day 10 was awesome.
 Some pics of the Hay trick in action.....
Day 11... was all about hay tricks and grain buckets to start, and then focusing on her left side. She's much more twitchy on the left and it takes far longer for me to get to her shoulder cuz she keeps turning to face me. While I dont want to discourage that, I also want her to just relax and realize she doesnt need to unless I tell her, so I have to be very aware of what my body is saying so she's not getting mixed signals. Boy, none of my other horses are near this level of "tuned" lol. She did get it eventually, repetition- repetition, repetition. Mostly today I learned she just really wants to be close without having to do anything, cuz she kept wanting to just "hang out" 
Day 12... we had a bit of a rodeo this morning. Everything was going hunky dory, no worrying about the bucket -but still no eating from it, leading was perfect, petting was happening, and she was following me around even without me holding the lead. And we were just hanging out "comtemplating" that bucket when a visitor came by. Something is different! But still, even with the dogs letting me know and her paying attention to them it still wasnt any big deal. The visitor came up to the fence and chatted for a few minutes, Tango being suspicious of her sunglasses (she hates not being able to see eyes) and the dogs, in thier excitement, knocked over the fork leaning against the fence which made a loud noise next to her. And she bolted away, and wishing to avoid a scene that might scare the lady I dropped the rope and then went to go recatch Tango and lead her back, all as calm as ever. And Tango was excellent about this and followed good as gold, but wasnt trusting the lady after that. We were at the fence a few more minutes and Tango had gotten close again till the lady moved her arms and Tango tried to bolt again, only this time I held and let her figure out it wasnt gonna work this time, and we went right back to the same place. The lady felt bad but I assured her Tango needs to figure all this out, cuz the world isnt gonna walk on eggshells just cuz Tango is in it, Tango needs to learn it's not scary. Then I fed Tango by the fence and dropped the rope to go let the burros outside. And here's where it gets funny, Tango left the food and stayed an arm's length away from me the whole trip over there like I was supposed to protect her. I wish I had a pic of that! But now I know we have homework- working with her when other people are around...
Day 13... 
just a really cool pic, even with straw in her mane lol. Today was just miserable weather so I didnt stay out in it long, nor make the burros stay outside either. 
Day 14.... somebody was rather squirrelly due to the stormy weather and Jake being present as well. So we worked on confidence with other people around, and petting, and Im trying to figure out how to get videos on here from my phone...
But all in all very pleased with how she's done for her 2nd week! 


No comments: