My photo
just a girl with alot on her mind

Monday, July 13, 2009

a bit of earth, my secret garden




The gardens are doing well, but needs a major weeding after a week of neglect. I started some this morning but it has since gotten hot today and I dont take the heat, or the cold for that matter. Lol, yet here I am where we get both. But we have spring and fall that make up for it. This is the last of the columbines, I had many different colors this year that I didnt plant but they must reseed whatever thier hybrid heritage is. I had blue, purple, yellow, burgundy, white and pink- Last year it was just the blue n purple. I think they're so elegant. And soon the summer blooms will open. Some of the clematis are blooming again or for the first time this year, so there's all shades of purple, white, red, and pink everywhere. After the bombing of climbing roses, which I love but most cant survive our winters, I've switched gears and collect clematis instead-they are way cheaper and survive! The roses I have left do very well and I plan to add more 'tough' ones in the future. No more walmart ripoffs! The 'tough' ones I have left are 'Climbing America' which only gets about 3ft tall even with Miracle grow, but blooms profusely; "Love' which is a grandiflora that is silver with red reverse, very striking florist rose type; 'Heritage' a pale pink David Austin English rose- however, it only gets about 3ft tall instead of the 6ft it should. "Seven Sisters" climber that grows all over its trellis and then some; "The Fairy'' pale pink everbloomer, ''Pink Knockout" & "Red Knockout" lanscape roses, and a freind gave me a cutting of a shrub rose that looks exactly like "Hansa" but is pink instead of burgundy. I hope it survives, so far it looks good but I need to find a better place for it. The rest of the garden is full of perrenials and 3 wisterias which are only a year old, but in a couple years everything should be established. I was disappointed my butterfly bushes didnt make the winter, I bought another this spring anyway cuz they're only a couple bucks at the local greenhouse and the butterflies do come for them. But it stinks cuz I used them as a main focal for several gardens. I also had to replant most of the herb garden cuz the seeds i had were too old or something, but I have success at last. I'm trying to figure it out as I go cuz so many plants have different likes and sometimes they get sick/die in one area and flourish in another. It's very confusing for a 'wanna-be' greenthumb such as myself. The veg garden is doing awesome, any day now the tomatoes should start ripening, and the peppers. I cant wait for peppers and make a beef roast with peppers n onions. I havent done that since last time I had a veg garden, 4 years ago. Anyway, I also need to come up with a plan for the area in front of my picket fence, it has short phlox, painted daisy, and creeping thyme in front, and a purple/white clematis climbing thru it (whose name escapes me now), and a pink clematis at one end and a wisteria at the other climbling up the garage. So in spring it looks very cute, but now it's very boring cuz nothing is blooming. I put sea lavendar there and will see how that looks but it wont bloom till late summer. I had butterfly bushes all along it for summer but they're dead, so the challenge is to find something that wont hide the fence but survive a harsh winter.... But its dangerous to go to the greenhouse lol, too many plants to try.....

No comments: