My photo
just a girl with alot on her mind

Wednesday, July 8, 2009




This girl on the right is Rohan, a 3 year old bay Paint breeding stock filly. She is full sister to Twista, but favors her Paint grandfather who had some Throughbred in his papers. She has the longer, leaner look and a plainer head, but is still pretty and I hope to someday make a jumper outta her. However, first I haveta convince her not to be a bucker! A few weeks ago she sent me to the hospital with a concussion, and I've just been doing more groundwork since. I hope I'll be able to handle whatever next she dishes out. Before that I was enjoying great success with her training. She has 1 white sock and a wide blaze. She was the last colt outta Chika x my stud while I owned her.
My stud Rado sired a couple other colts after Rohan but they were sold or sold inutero when I sold my mares. Rado was gelded and then sold.
Someday I hope to get back into raising colts every year, but I think I'll skip owning a stud cuz I'll never have another like Rado was. And it'll be easier letting somebody else deal with the stud aspect year-round.


The lady on the left is Buckley, a 15 year old buckskin Quarter horse that I bought at Xmas from a freind of mine. The pic is from the day she came. Buckley is awesome, she does everything, your average ranch horse. Only you cant tie her to anything but a trailer and once you get on she's all buisness, no dinking around waiting, but those are minor compared to how broke she is. I rode her some in the spring, and summer thus far has gotten away on me. Currently she's down at a freind's, getting bred to a jack. She's had mule babies before and we tried 3 years in a row, several years ago, to get one but none of our mares would take, so once we got her we thought we'd try again. So maybe my hubby will finally get his mule and enjoy riding again. He doesnt ride horses anymore cuz of his knees. She almost matches Pheonix but has dapples, 3 socks, and a star, and of course is bigger. Pheonix also has the zebra stripes and a line down her back which Buckley doesnt. But they're my Golden girls- and it's so ironic, I never thought I'd ever have a buckskin and now I got 2. Buckley is a talker, that is she's constantly nickering when she's sees me or it's close to suppertime. She's freindly but not the 'cuddly' type like the others who sponge up the attention, I guess it comes from her remuda days. Still, as long as she's glad to see me , freindly enuf to come when called, easy to catch and enjoys a grooming, I'd say she's fine as is.

No comments: