My photo
just a girl with alot on her mind

Sunday, April 19, 2015

time for some new gear..

There's just no getting around it. Here is Miss Pheonix,
being kept content so I can practice braiding- SO much practice needed!- and you can tell exactly where she shifted her head and I lost the tension, the bumps give it away lol. But she's never had that done and I dont have cross ties, so Im sure that would help. As would a step-stool, being she's over 15hh, maybe even 16hh and Im only 5'4" it's a reach even with the hay bribe ;). But anyway, I tried on some english gear for her yesterday, and oh boy. This english bridle thing is so wonky, there I said it lol. Her particular fit issue is the cheek pieces are as short as they'll go on Cob size bridle, but the browband is too tight so I didnt leave it on her to see what else is going on. Life is unfair for 'western' breeds in the english world it seems. I will see if the Full size Dusy has will fit her better. On the other hand Twista just inheirited all my Cob size stuff cuz I bought it all based on her and another horse I had at the time. I shouldve gotten a few bigger bridles then too, seems the price was better back then!
 She also tried on one of the saddles, lol she actually turned her head around to look at this contraption on her back and then at me like "Seriously?? Where's the rest of it??" and I wish I'd been holding the camera! So that one wasnt the best fit, she is a wide girl to start with but there are others I can try yet. It's a far cry from all her western gear and she looks even bigger with so "little" on and her hair done up. I actually like her look better with hair down, but maybe that's just cuz I suck at braiding manes yet.
 But shopping for horse gear is something Im out of practice doing, it's been about 5 years since I bought any tack, and that's cuz I had what I needed and liked, and more than enough. Tack shopping for me is like extreme coupon people lol, I want awesome stuff for very little $, I do a ton of research and I dont get caught up in the brand name game, though there are some I like alot, it still doesnt mean I'll buy anything from that brand, I still get picky, and sometimes a big deal name from years ago is made like modern junk now- they just dont make em like they used to. The only exception to this rule is Weaver Leather, I trust thier stuff and have western and english gear from them. Thier english bridles are my favorites and I know the leather isnt going to snap at the worst moment so they have always been my go-to for that style as well. But they stopped making them! I am kicking myself for not getting a variety of sizes, cuz they were only $40 and $80 (for the Square Raised) years back when I got mine. I scoured the net, emailed the company and no luck, dammit. I cant even get browbands to make them a bit wider, dammit.
"Mom, this is much ado about nothing"

So what are good brands that dont cost a fortune? I dont show and the english is just my own personal goal, there are no trainers here and nobody rides this style whatsoever where I live, so it's not like I have any guide beyond what I can research off the net, tack stores here dont even have english gear. ( I know cuz I bought it up years ago on clearence lol) Tack reviews are awesome but mostly feature the expensive brands. Im not worthy of an expensive brand yet, but my main concern is leather quality- Ive been in a situation where a strap snapped and chaos ensued so I dont want bad leather to start with but am not at a level where $200 is ok for a bridle, let's be realistic being no lottery ticket has ever panned out here. ;)
What this has taught me is that when I do find a new bridle that's awesome Im going to buy several of it in various sizes and avoid this issue in future :/ . Add it to the collection lol!! there are worse addictions you know...



No comments: